With Roger Stollery’s carbon fibre
ICE appearing at all the open events in increasing numbers, I
wondered if it would be possible to make a wooden version.
At first I was told there were no
drawings – only the moulds but after talking to
Roger he kindly sent me a copy of his
workshop drawings. At first glance making a planked version looked
virtually impossible. However after giving it some thought I decided
if I concentrated on the wetted portion and made a caricature of the
upper works it should look ICE like.
One of the advantages of working with
wood is that that it is easy to develop the design as you go along.
So I could see how the hull looked and make the deck up as I went
along. One of the trademark features is the concave stern, so somehow
reproducing that was a must.
This is the first time I’ve tried to
make a record of a build. Unfortunately I occasionally forgot so
there are ‘jumps’. The build took two weeks. This is how it went.
Here are a couple of drawings with the details of how it was achieved
Initial trials in the canal seemed promising but at the first races (Birmingham Open) were disappointing. Comparison with carbon ICEs suggested that the WICE fin was raked back slightly and the centre of gravity was slightly aft.
Bulb was also thought to be a little light at 240gms. A new 290gm bulb fitted slightly forward and batteries moved forward ( two groups of 2 AAA cells held with Velcro either side of the fin. Sailing in July SMFL performance was much improved but I made too many mistakes at the helm for the results to show its true potential.
Not a Registered UK Skipper subscribe to SailFootyUk Mail to get the latest links to news, race notifications & reports delivered to your inbox.